The NHS currently funds orthodontic treatment for children under the age of 18 years old. An NHS assessment is available free of charge following a referral from your family dentist.
NHS funding is only available for patients who require orthodontic treatment for dental health reasons.
Does my child quality for NHS treatment?
NHS orthodontic treatment is normally for cases where there is impaction of teeth, severe crowding, missing teeth or protrusion of incisors. Eligibility is determined by the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN). Essentially, this index scores the need for treatment based on the potential impact on dental health. Treatment for more cosmetic problems is not available on the NHS.
Should a patient not qualify for NHS funding we also offer a private option, which offers several additional benefits. Find out more.
How long is the waiting list?
NHS funding for orthodontic care is capped nationally and we are only given a limited amount of funding each year. For those patients who qualify and wish to seek NHS treatment, they will join a waiting list, which is currently over two years for non-urgent cases. In order to be placed on the waiting list, your child must be developmentally ready and suitable for orthodontic treatment, i.e. no baby teeth and good dental health.
Please note that an NHS orthodontic assessment and treatment is not available to patients aged 18 and over or those with mild orthodontic problems.
Private orthodontic treatment
Private orthodontic care is also available for children and we make every effort to ensure this is affordable.
- Treatment can start at your convenience (no waiting list)
- Flexible appointment times
- Choice of a wide selection of the latest braces including aesthetic (clear) braces, Invisalign Teen and Incognito (hidden) braces.
- Attention is given to all aspects of your cosmetic orthodontic concerns
- Oral hygiene and brace homecare pack is provided
- Mouthguard is provided
- Fixed-bonded retainers (wires placed behind the front teeth to maintain alignment)
- Removable retainers (as well as fixed retainers)
- 1 year after-care
- Flexible finance options– including interest free payments